Toilet-friendly municipality of North Brabant is Landerd
15 March 2022
Friday 19 November 2021 was World Toilet Day. On this day, attention is paid to the importance of good sanitation and access to clean and safe toilets for all.
There is work to be done in the Netherlands, because recent research has shown that one in five people regularly stays at home because of a lack of toilets. We can therefore say that there is a social problem. In order to draw attention to this problem, we annually announce the well-known ranking of "the most toilet-friendly municipality in the Netherlands" on World Toilet Day. But it is not only on World Toilet Day that attention should be paid to (the solution of) this social problem. As far as we are concerned, it should always be on the agenda. That is why we zoom in on one of our 12 provinces every month, giving insight into how the municipalities within that province are doing.
We do not go through the provinces alphabetically, but on the basis of the rankings.
December: Province of Groningen
January: Province of Flevoland
February: Province of Zeeland
And this month, it is the province of North Brabant that we are taking a closer look at.
The number of inhabitants per toilet
The toilet-friendly municipality of the province of North Brabant is the municipality of Landerd (which has since merged with the municipality of Uden to become the municipality of Maashorst). With a total of 705 points, they managed to secure first place.
In order to paint a clear picture of the need for more toilets in the municipalities within the province of Noord-Brabant, we have made a breakdown of the number of inhabitants per toilet in each
municipality. We would like to emphasise that visitors and tourists to the municipality are not included in this
For example, even in the best scoring municipality of this province (municipality of Landerd) a total of 1054 inhabitants have to share one public/open toilet. In the least scoring municipality (municipality of Waalre/Laarbeek) there are no toilets for the inhabitants to share. That is a huge difference!
The number of people who have to share a toilet is one of the 6 indicators on which the national ranking is based. Every month we communicate the number of inhabitants per toilet of all municipalities within the province that is in the spotlight at that moment via our newsletter. Would you like to be the first to receive this data in your mailbox every month? Then subscribe to the newsletter at the end of this article!
The ranking of the province of North Brabant
We have compiled the full list of municipalities within the province of North Brabant for you below. You can read the list as follows:
Position within province / name of municipality / position on Dutch ranking list / number of inhabitants per toilet
1. / Landerd / positie 12 / 1054 (nu gemeente Maashorst)
2. / Vught / positie 16 / 1583
3. / Roosendaal / positie 17 / 1979 (tevens snelste stijger van afgelopen jaar)
4. / Waalwijk / positie 18 / 1808
5. / Heeze-Leende / positie 23 / 508
6. / Meierijstad / positie 63 / 1991
7. / Tilburg / positie 65 / 2336
8. / Asten / positie 68 / 1401
9. / Woensdrecht / positie 69 / 2203
10. / Bernheze / positie 70 / 1748
11. / Boxtel / positie 71 / 1832
12. / Cranendonck / positie 81 / 1750
13. / Uden / positie 93 / 1839 (nu gemeente Maashorst)
14. / Dongen / positie 112 / 1883
15. / Son en Beugel / positie 116 / 1950
16. / Nuenen, Gerwen en Nederwetten / positie 121 / 2370
17. / Sint Anthonis / positie 126 / 2338
18. / Bergen op Zoom / positie 131 / 2328
19. / 's-Hertogenbosch / positie 146 / 2392
20. / Grave / positie 154 / 3122 (nu gemeente Land van Cuijk)
21. / Gilze en Rijen / positie 162 / 2429
22. / Oosterhout / positie 183 / 2810
23. / Eindhoven / positie 187 / 2806
24. / Breda / positie 195 / 3069
25. / Reusel-De Mierden / positie 203 / 2625
26. / Loon op Zand / positie 204 / 3358
27. / Moerdijk / positie 208 / 3099
28. / Best / positie 212 / 2747
29. / Cuijk / positie 213 / 2540 (nu gemeente Land van Cuijk)
30. / Rucphen / positie 220 / 3297
31. / Oisterwijk / positie 223 / 2698
32. / Altena / positie 236 / 2561
33. / Etten-Leur / positie 239 / 3988
34. / Someren / positie 246 / 2775
35. / Halderberge / positie 250 / 3804
36. / Boxmeer / positie 251 / 4230 (nu gemeente Land van Cuijk)
37. / Geertruidenberg / positie 255 / 2721
38. / Deurne / positie 256 / 3244
39. / Sint-Michielsgestel / positie 257 / 14749
40. / Heusden / positie 261 / 5001
41. / Valkenswaard / positie 272 / 3122
42. / Helmond / positie 273 / 4411
43. / Veldhoven / positie 282 / 3250
44. / Eersel / positie 284 / 2790
45. / Zundert / positie 285 / 3665
46. / Oirschot / positie 294 / 3140
47. / Oss / positie 297 / 5443
48. / Hilvarenbeek / positie 304 / 7849
49. / Goirle / positie 307 / 3992
50. / Geldrop-Mierlo / positie 310 / 5724
51. / Steenbergen / positie 316 / 4862
52. / Gemert-Bakel / positie 317 / 4394
53. / Alphen-Chaam / positie 322 / 3458
54. / Bladel / positie 331 / 5132
55. / Bergeijk / positie 332 / 4698
56. / Boekel / positie 346 / 5480
57. / Baarle-Nassau / positie 347 / 6899
58. / Drimmelen / positie 344 / 9108
59. / Mill en Sint Hubert / positie 341 / 5502 (nu gemeente Land van Cuijk)
60. / Laarbeek / positie 351 / geen toiletten
61. / Waalre / positie 348 / geen toiletten
Room for improvement
Nationally, the municipality of Landerd with 705points is in a good 12th position of the total of 352 municipalities in the Netherlands. The same position as in 2020. With a few simple steps, however, it is even possible for this municipality to end up higher on the national ranking in the coming year. There are more than enough feasible opportunities for all municipalities to become more toilet-friendly and therefore not only more inclusive, but also more hospitable.
1. Make the toilets of municipal locations available to passers-by.
2. Placing public (seasonal) toilets at busy locations.
3. Asking local businesses if their toilets can be made available to passers-by.
4. Making toilets clearly findable by becoming a partner of HogeNood and registering toilets and keeping track of dates in the HogeNood CMS, placing signs at
that lead to the toilet and placing stickers at toilet locations themselves for extra indication.
5. Maintaining a sustainable toilet policy so that not only now but also in the future, sufficient hygienic toilets are ensured within the
Want to become a toilet-friendly municipality? Then get in touch.
The complete ranking of toilet-friendly municipalities of the Netherlands 2021
For those of you who would like to find out where your own municipality has ended up, we have provided the complete ranking of all 352 for World Toilet Day 2021 as an interesting article. Here you can read how the list came about and how many points each municipality managed to achieve in 2021. There is also a map showing the proximity of all the toilets registered in the HogeNood app.
Monthly updates on each province via the newsletter
From now on, we will be publishing a monthly article focusing on one of our 12 provinces. Do you want to be the first to know about the most toilet-friendly municipality of each province? Then subscribe to the newsletter at the bottom of this article. That way you can be sure
that you will receive the newest list in your inbox as soon as it is put online!
Note: The dates used in this article are a snapshot of World Toilet Day 2021, it is possible that changes have occurred in the meantime.